Hello! Today I will be gracefully guiding all you crafters in zipper land, through creating your own zipper throw pillow. Sewing with zippers can be intimidating and this easy tutorial will help you along step by step. I also had to incorporate this super cute "Enamel Coffee Pot" paper piecing pattern from Sew Ichigo. For this project you will need :
1. A Zipper! (I used a 9 inch black zipper)
2. Two pieces of fabric ( I used two 14"x14" Squares)
3. Two 3"x 6" pieces of fabric (I used Kitchen Motif Fabric) either matching your zipper or your fabric colors.
4. A sewing machine with preferably the same color thread as your zipper.
6. An Iron
Step 1. Take your two pieces of fabric measuring 3" x 6" and fold over 1/2 inch. Iron into place.
Step 2. Fold the two pieces in half so the 1/2 folds are touching.
Step 3. & 4. Pin each end of the zipper with your fabric with the fold opening towards the zipper.
Step 5. Sew a seam across the zipper bring the two folds together.
Step 6. Is what the zipper head should look like.
Step 7. Is what the bottom of the zipper should look like.
Step 8. Take one of your pieces of fabric right side up and pin zipper face down on the side you want to be the bottom of your pillow.
Step 9. Iron down your zipper on the non seamed finished side of your pillow bottom.
10. Lay out your pieces facing opposite of each other, then flip the other piece of fabric upside down on your piece in which the zipper is already sewn on.
11. Pin 2nd piece of fabric onto the zipper making sure both front sides of the fabrics are touching.
12. Sew the other side to the zipper and iron out both sides so they are flat.
Step 13. Open the zipper half way and pin the whole thing together. Pin the zipper sides as flat as you can so they will be easy to sew.
14. Sew around the 3 non zipper edges. Sew a double seam for more durability.
15. Finally turn the whole thing inside out, stuff it with a pillow form or stuffing & zip it up!
There you have it, a simple throw pillow! Now that you've got the hang of it, the possibilities are endless! What a great way to showcase your paper piecing skills.
For all your zipper needs make sure you come to www.zipitzippers.com